Over 2000 incidents of ceasefire violation by Pakistan in less than six months in 2020: Defence Spokesperson
NEW DELHI: There have been more than 2000 incidents of ceasefire violations along the Line of Control by the Pakistani troops in less than six months in the year 2020, according to the Defence Spokesperson Lt Col Devender Anand.
Jammu based Defence PRO, Lt Col Devender Anand, said on Saturday, “2020 figure for ceasefire violations is astonishing, in less than 6 months there have been more than 2000 violations. If we compare with past years, there weren't as many violations in the entire 2018.”
The Defence Spokesperson further said that in 2019, a big spike in ceasefire violations was seen after the abrogation of Article 370 by the Centre in the erstwhile state of Jammu and Kashmir.
Lt Col Devender Anand warned that the number of ceasefire violations has increased continuously since then.
The comments from the Defence spokesperson came a day after the Pakistani troops violated ceasefire for the fifth consecutive day on Friday as they shelled forward posts and villages in five sectors of Jammu and Kashmir's Poonch district.
Pakistan army initiated unprovoked ceasefire violation by small arms firing and intense shelling with mortars in Shahpur, Kirni and Qasba sectors in Poonch, the Indian Army said.
About 1950 hours, the Pakistan army violated ceasefire along the Line of Control (LoC) in Balakote sector of Poonch district and Manjakote sector of Rajouri district.
The Pakistani troopers had initiated unprovoked ceasefire violation along the LoC in Kirni and Qasba sectors in district Poonch at 1615 hours, the Defence PRO said adding that the Indian Army retaliated befittingly.
An Army jawan was killed and a civilian injured when the Pakistan army heavily shelled villages and forward posts along the LoC in Rajouri and Poonch district on Thursday.
The neighbouring nation had targeted over a dozen villages along the LoC in Nowshera and Balakote sectors late Thursday night.