Coronavirus In India: The first three cases of virus in India were reported from Kerala. (File)
The total number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in India now stands at 47, with the recent case of a Bengaluru resident, who had recently visited the United States. Other fresh cases reported on Monday include one each in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Punjab and two in Pune. Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan held a meeting with Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal to take stock of the situation.
The government has decided not to let any foreign cruise ship to dock at Indian ports, news agency ANI reported. The government had suspended visas and e-visas granted on or before March 3 to people travelling from Italy, Iran, South Korea and Japan, effective immediately, after a surge in cases of coronavirus or COVID-19 in these countries.
The global number of deaths from the new coronavirus passed 4,000 on Tuesday, according to AFP figures, as China reported 17 new deaths. The virus has spread to over 100 countries with more than 110,000 cases of infection.
Here are the Updates on Coronavirus Outbreak:
Mar 10, 2020 09:17 (IST)Kerala Stregthens Surveillance After 6 Test Positive For COVID-19, Says State Health Minister
Kerala Health Minister KK Shailaja on Monday said that the administration has strengthened surveillance after six persons tested positive for COVID-19.
"We have strengthened the surveillance after 6 positive cases since yesterday. In the state, we have 1116 persons under observation out of whom 976 persons are under home quarantine while 149 persons are in hospitals. This includes people with symptoms as well," Ms Shailaja told reporters.
"In Pathanamthitta, we began the contact tracing at around 6 am. 270 persons are under the primary contact of positive patients. The number of high-risk contacts are 95. 6 people have come to hospitals in Pathanamthitta. The number of secondary contacts is 449," she added.
Mar 10, 2020 09:15 (IST)Whole Of Italy Under Coronavirus Lockdown, Public Gatherings Banned
Travel was restricted across Italy from Tuesday and public gatherings were forbidden throughout the country, as the government placed the whole peninsula on lockdown to fight the spread of the new coronavirus.
Mar 10, 2020 08:01 (IST)
- The novel coronavirus spreads through contact with respiratory droplets spread during coughing and sneezing, doctors say.
- Besides keeping contact to a minimum with an infected person, the preventive measures include frequent washing of hands and use of hand sanitisers.
- Fresh tissues should be used while sneezing and coughing and then discarded, to ensure the virus does not spread.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan said over 8.74 lakh passengers coming from foreign countries have been screened.
- The government has decided not to let any foreign cruise ship to dock at Indian ports, news agency ANI reported.
- As many as 52 laboratories are now operational across the country for testing COVID-19 virus, the health ministry said.
- An additional 57 laboratories have been provided with Viral Transport Media and swabs for sample collection, it added.
- Mizoram will seal its borders with Myanmar and Bangladesh and ban the entry of foreigners to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus in the state, a top official said on Monday.
- Kindergarten classes in Bengaluru have been closed as a precautionary measure because of the coronavirus cases in the neighbouring states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- Bengaluru resident, who had recently visited the United States, has been tested positive for coronavirus, which has infected 47 people in India so far.
- Other fresh cases reported today include one each in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Punjab and two in Pune.
- A 63-year-old Jammu woman, who had travelled to Iran, was among two patients who were declared "high viral load cases" by the administration during the weekend.